Karate and Yoga in the Park
Classes meet at Swede Hollow Upper Park. The park is at the intersection of Greenbrier and Margaret, just across the street from Midwest Karate. Walk down to Mississippi Market, cross 7th street and go another block. You can park at Midwest Karate, or in the parking lot at Swede Hollow. There is an upper and lower part to the park- we will meet in the upper park.
Regularly scheduled classes. We have come to the conclusion that there isn’t a safe and convenient way for us to hold classes inside the building at Midwest Karate. Our “Karate in the Park” classes meet on Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturdays. The full schedule of classes can be found here: Class Schedule
The dojo will not be opened. Come already dressed for class. Rest rooms and showers will not be available. You can park at the dojo and walk to the park, but there is plenty of parking at Swede Hollow Park.
Weather permitting. If the weather isn’t suitable on the day of the class, we will Live Stream the class instead. We will make the decision to hold the class at Noon and send an email to confirm the class.
The classes are open to all levels. If we have a large variety of ranks attending, Anita and I will divide the group by levels
. This will keep the instruction more appropriate to the level of the student and help with social distancing. Also, if any group gets bigger than 10 people, we will break into smaller groups.
Live Streaming will continue. We have many students that are not yet comfortable practicing with others in a class. Because of this, we will continue offering Live Streaming classes for the foreseeable future. MKA of St Paul members that have paid their monthly membership will receive links to join the karate classes. Yoga classes are available to those with current class cards, and individual classes for yoga are available as well.
Pay Dues online. To pay your dues, or buy a yoga card, go to mwkarate.com/billpay
Equipment you will need. Here is a summary of equipment you can use.
- Wear a face mask to class: This is going to be a requirement. Please wear your mask before, during and after class. If you don’t have one, let us know and Anita will bring one for you.
- Wear your gi: We will try to keep grass stains to a minimum, especially during stretching.
- Shoes: We will be practicing in the grass. You might be comfortable in bare feet, but bring a pair of shoes just in case.
- Social Distancing: There is plenty of space at the park, so everyone will be able to keep a safe distance during class. Be sure to keep a safe social distance, six feet at least, before and after class as well.
- Hand sanitizer: Swede Hollow Park doesn’t have running water, so it’s a good idea to bring hand sanitizer.
- Bug Spray: We are early in the warm weather, so bugs shouldn’t be an issue. However, you may want to bring some bug spray just in case.
We thank you for understanding, and hope that all our students are taking steps to stay safe. Further announcements will be made here, and through the NCR newsletter.
Live Stream Classes
For members only. The link to join each class will be email to members. To pay your dues go to http://mwkarate.com/billpay/
Software you will need. We use Zoom to live stream the class. When you click on the link, the Zoom software will automatically load. You do not need a Zoom account to participate. You may need to tell the Zoom software to connect to your audio when you first join.
Equipment you will need. Here is a summary of equipment you can use.
- Laptop computer: This is the best solution, if you have one. Most modern laptops have a camera and microphone, plus the big screen makes it much easier to see the instructors.
- Cell phone: This can be the simplest solution. A cell phone already has a camera and microphone built in. The biggest problem is the small screen size. Make sure you are using a WiFi connection. Otherwise, the class will use a tremendous amount of your data.
- Tablet: Most tablets work similar to a cell phone, but the screen is bigger.
- Desktop Computer: Most times a desktop computer doesn’t have a camera or microphone. This means that you can watch and hear the instructors, but they won’t see you. It’s possible to add a webcam to any computer relatively cheaply at places like Best Buy or Amazon.
You can turn your camera off. If you don’t want anyone to see you when you get online, use the video icon to turn off your camera.
You can join the session before the scheduled time. We are usually online about 10 minutes early. This will give you time to chat with the Sensei’s and others in the class. This is a good time to address any questions or concerns you may have. If you don’t have the time or space to train, you are welcome to visit before or after class.
Gallery View. Before and after class everyone visits, just like at the dojo. If you want to see everyone that has joined that days class, you can switch to gallery view. On a computer the button is in the top right hand of the screen. For a cell phone, slide the screen to the right. This part of the session gets edited out of the final video. When the class begins switch back to speaker view, that will give you a full screen view of the instructors.
You need a password to join. The password required to join a session emailed to members
Be ready to train. Get your gi on and train with us. If are only there to watch, please turn your camera off once the class begins.
Student audio is muted during class. We need to do it this way so that sensei’s video is the only one that shows in the recording. After the practice, we will turn the audio back on for a Q & A.
Videos can be downloaded and saved. When you click the link to watch a previously recorded class, you will have the option to download the video and save it to your computer. We will keep the videos available online for about two weeks.
Only the Sensei will be visible in the recorded video. We will edit out the before and after class chatter.
About Midwest Karate of St Paul
The Midwest Karate Association is a traditional Shotokan Karate dojo recognized by the Japan Karate Association and the American Amateur Karate Federation. Our instructors, Sensei Joel Ertl, 6th dan and Sensei Anita Bendickson, 5th dan, are internationally respected instructors. Sensei’s Ertl and Bendickson have each been teaching karate for over 30 years.
Midwest Karate Association of St Paul is affiliated with Midwest Karate Association of Minneapolis. The Minneapolis school, under the direction of Sensei Robert Fusaro, 9th Dan, is one of the oldest dojo’s in the country.
The Midwest Karate Association of St Paul is located in St Paul, Minnesota. It is conveniently located on 7th Street in St Paul’s east side. Visitors are welcome to observe any class.
Traditional Japanese karate is a martial art that develops core strength, flexibility, balance, coordination and mental concentration. The goals of Karate training include self-defense, physical fitness, confidence, competition, and fun. Our dojo is known for the friendly discipline of our classes and for detailed attention to form. We have classes for all ages and skill levels, and we welcome all new students. Whether you are looking for fitness, self-defense, or meeting other active people, call us today.