More information on Classes at the Park
Karate and Yoga in the Park
We meet at Swede Hollow Upper Park. The park is at the intersection of Greenbrier and Margaret, just across the street from Midwest Karate. Walk down to Mississippi Market, cross 7th street and go another block. You can park at Midwest Karate, or in the parking lot at Swede Hollow. There is an upper and lower part to the park- we will meet in the upper park.
Regularly scheduled classes. We have come to the conclusion that there isn’t a safe and convenient way for us to hold classes inside the building at Midwest Karate. Our “Karate in the Park” classes meet on Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturdays. The full schedule of classes can be found here:
The dojo will not be opened. Come already dressed for class. Rest rooms and showers will not be available. You can park at the dojo and walk to the park, but there is plenty of parking at Swede Hollow Park.
Weather permitting. If the weather isn’t suitable on the day of the class, we will Live Stream the class instead. We will make the decision to hold the class at Noon and send an email to confirm the class.
The classes are open to all levels. If we have a large variety of ranks attending, Anita and I will divide the group by levels. This will keep the instruction more appropriate to the level of the student and help with social distancing. Also, if any group gets bigger than 10 people, we will break into smaller groups.
Live Streaming will continue. We have many students that are not yet comfortable practicing with others in a class. Because of this, we will continue offering Live Streaming classes for the foreseeable future. MKA of St Paul members that have paid their monthly membership will receive links to join the karate classes. Yoga classes are available to those with current class cards, and individual classes for yoga are available as well.
Pay Dues online. To pay your dues, or buy a yoga card, go to mwkarate.com/billpay
Equipment you will need. Here is a summary of equipment you can use.
- Wear a face mask to class: This is going to be a requirement. Please wear your mask before, during and after class. If you don’t have one, let us know and Anita will bring one for you.
- Wear your gi: We will try to keep grass stains to a minimum, especially during stretching.
- Shoes: We will be practicing in the grass. You might be comfortable in bare feet, but bring a pair of shoes just in case.
- Social Distancing: There is plenty of space at the park, so everyone will be able to keep a safe distance during class. Be sure to keep a safe social distance, six feet at least, before and after class as well.
- Hand sanitizer: Swede Hollow Park doesn’t have running water, so it’s a good idea to bring hand sanitizer.
- Bug Spray: We are early in the warm weather, so bugs shouldn’t be an issue. However, you may want to bring some bug spray just in case.
We thank you for understanding, and hope that all our students are taking steps to stay safe. Further announcements will be made here, and through the NCR newsletter.